The primary responsibility of the Fire Marshal is to ensure that the commercial buildings within our community are fire safe and in compliance with the regulations set forth by the Fire Code of the State of New York.
The Fire Marshal also serves as our Emergency Preparedness Administrator works to make sure that the town’s disaster plan is up to date and that the Town Board and town departmetns are prepared to handle any natural or man made disasters that may occur.
- Acts as a liaison with Rush Town Fire Department to furnish and receive information regarding fires, fire hazards and code violations;
- Inspects public, semi‐public and other commercial establishments to ascertain the extent of conformity to the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code and other local laws and ordinances
- Orders the removal or correction of fire hazards and fire code violations;
- Works in partnership with the Town Building Inspector.
- Recommends fire detection and suppression measures;
- Issues permits for combustible material, fire alarms, etc.;
- Reviews building plans for code compliance, and participates in approval process for new structures and renovations to existing buildings, subdivisions, road layouts and accessibility as it pertains to fire code and safety;
- As our community’s Emergency Preparedness Officer, reviews and maintains a level of preparedness for disaster;