Contact Us

Richard Hartt

Chairperson - 12/31/2026

Lee Hetrick

Board Member - 12/31/2023

 Debra Kusse

Board Member - 12/31/2027

David Glocker

Board Member - 12/31/2025

Lorraine Spaulding

Board Member - 12/31/2024

Town Board Liaison - Amber Corbin

Contact Shay Snapp, Zoning Board Clerk
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM 
except for meeting days

(585) 533-9058
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
5977 East Henrietta Road, Rush NY 14543

The Zoning Board is scheduled to meet on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 7 PM.

 Town Code 
Town Zoning Map 

Click Here for Agendas  and Click Here for Minutes  

The Zoning Board of Appeals holds regular meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Rush Town Hall. The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is the first level of appeals for alleged hardship encountered in application of the Zoning Ordinance.

Many property owners can implement their plans for building new, or altering existing, houses, storage shed, etc., by applying for and receiving a building permit form the Building Inspector. Occasionally, however, the Building Inspector will discover that the proposed structure or its proposed location would violate one or more provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. When this occurs, the application for a building permit must be rejected. At this time there are two choices:

  1. Review provisions of the Zoning Ordinance and alter your proposal to comply. If the building Inspector agrees with your revisions, the building permit will be issued.
  2. Apply to the ZBA for a variance, special or temporary permit. The Zoning Ordinance recognizes that there will be instances in which full compliance with its provisions will be impossible. A public hearing is required.

Common problems coming before the ZBA involve:

  • Area Variance - The required set back of a structure from the front and side lot lines.
  • Use Variance - Non-conforming uses such as commercial activities in residential zones.

Other matters which require a variance issued by the ZBA include:

  • Erection of certain signs, decks, swimming pools, and fences/hedges.
  • Approval of certain uses of land/property permitted only after issuance of a special permit.

All applicants must submit a fully completed Application for a Variance by the 10th of the month in order to be heard the following month.

Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting Schedule:

January 19, 2023

February 16. 2023

March 16, 2023

April 20, 2023

May 18, 2023

June 15, 2023

July 20, 2023

August 17, 2023

September 21, 2023

October 19, 2023

November 16, 2023

December 21, 2023

A 30-day cycle is required for all necessary parties/agencies to review the application.

  pdf Zoning Map